Hello and Welcome to Young Greenwich School Nursing Service, Oxleas NHS Trust (previously known as Greenwich School Nursing).
The Young Greenwich School Nursing service is a new exciting skill mix team, and we aim to support children and young people aged 5-19yrs and their families who live and attend schools within Royal Borough of Greenwich.
Our team consists of:
Young Greenwich SCPHN
(Specialist Community Public Health Nurse) – The nurses are named to each Secondary school / establishment aligned to their hub catchment area and are responsible for the health and wellbeing of students including the management of care plans and medical alert handbook. The nurses also attend the evening sessions across the four hubs and run drop-in sessions in school (once covid restrictions in schools allow). The public health nurses also support the daily duty line, triage the daily referrals and attend safeguarding meetings for identified health needs.
Young Greenwich Staff Nurses
– run our daily duty line, support safeguarding, deliver medical alert handbook training, and assist primary schools with care plans, and provide the parenting offer with the health advisors across the hubs. They complete health information sharing requests to support the multi-agency working and decision process.
Young Greenwich Health advisors
– support the transition of children to Reception and their parents / carers in any health concern such as bed-wetting, behaviour, sleep. We will be introducing drop ins for parents across the four youth hubs very soon. They also provide short, targeted parenting groups in every hub.
Young Greenwich School screeners
– will continue to see Reception children for vision screening and measure Reception and Year 6 as part of the National Child Measurement Programme (NCMP). They will also be measuring year 8 from the new academic year 2021/22.
Young Greenwich Administrators
– support the dedicated telephone line and allocate emails to the duty nurses as required. They support the school screeners with the NCMP reporting and much more besides.
What do we offer?
The Young Greenwich school nursing team offer a free and confidential service. The nurses and health advisors work in youth hubs and support schools across the borough to provide advice and information on a number of topics, including:
- Emotional Health & Wellbeing
- Behaviour Management
- Parenting Support with partnering agencies
- Sexual Health and Contraception
- Support with Building Healthy Relationships including issues with grooming, CSE, keeping safe online and bullying
- Healthy Lifestyles & Healthy Weight: Healthy Eating, Weight Management Referrals & Fussy Eating
- Puberty, Self-Identity & Personal Hygiene
- Sleep Difficulties
- Continence Issues: Day & Night Wetting and Soiling
- School Readiness
- Transition into reception, secondary school & higher education
- Smoking, Alcohol and Substance Misuse
- Medical Needs & Care Planning
Parents and Young People can self-refer to us via email to: email@example.com or call us on 0208 317 6319.
Duty Nurse - a duty nurse is available every weekday from 9am – 4.30pm, all year round (except bank holidays), call 0208 317 6319 to speak to one of our nurses.